Welcome to the Eglin Yacht Club - Recipes30o 27' 01.72" N 86o 32' 19.44" W
The recipes below were contributed by our members, as noted.
By John Faris
· 2 cups milk
· ¼ cup butter
· ½ cup sugar
· 1 tea spoon cinnamon
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
· 6 cups bread cubes (approx. 1-inch)
· ½ cup raisins (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350o. Heat milk and butter in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat until butter melts and milk is scalded. Mix: sugar, cinnamon, salt, and eggs in a four- quart bowl, stir in bread cubes and raisins. Stir in milk mixture and pour into a well greased 1½ casserole pan/dish. Place casserole in a pan of VERY hot water (1-inch deep) and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
· 1 cup packed brown sugar
· ½ cup butter
· 3 to 4 Tablespoons (or to taste) Brandy, Dark Rum, or Bourbon (flavored extracts can be substituted for liquor)
Heat all ingredients stirring constantly until the sauce comes to a boil (note all the alcohol is gone long before the mixture comes to a boil so this is kid-safe).
Sever warm; recommend topping with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Makes 10-12 servings.
By Cathy Hawkins
· One block of Cream Cheese (softened)
· One cup mayonnaise
3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
Add to this mixture:
· One 14 oz. can chopped and drained artichoke hearts
· 8 oz . Sea Legs (Fake Crab Legs)
· Slivered Almonds (Optional)
BAKE AT 375 FOR 15 – 20 MINUTES. SERVE WITH YOUR FAVORITE CHIPS OR CRACKERS
Editors Note: I tasted this dip which Cathy served as an extra treat for the July Hamburger night crew and bartenders. It was fabulous!!! It’s another good reason to volunteer as the pay may be low but the perks are terrific. - Jan
By Divin’ Man
· Shrimp- 8-10 count and fresh Kikoman's Sesame Teriyaki marinate Vegetables-
· Portabella mushrooms, tomatoes, Green peppers, onions
Clean and de-vein shrimp. Marinate one hour. Arrange on Skewers then cook over a single layer of coals till done. Skewer Portabella mushrooms, Green peppers, onions, and cherry tomatoes and cook while basting with butter/garlic mix.
By Divin’ Man
· Fish fillets
· Cajun Seasoning (Tones) from Sams
· Olive oil
Coat fillets with olive oil, sprinkle Cajun Seasoning liberally to both sides, and cook in a red-hot cast iron skillet till done, turning once. Serve with rice pilaf.
Alaska Salmon Bake
By Jennifer Westfall
· 4 salmon fillets or steaks (6-8oz.)
· 2 tblsps. Dijon Style Mustard
· 2 tblsps. Butter, melted
· 1 tblsp. Honey
· ¼ cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
· ¼ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
· 2 tsps. chopped parsley
Heat oven to 400. Blend mustard, butter, honey, set aside. Mix bread
crumbs, pecans and parsley. Season salmon w/salt & pepper and place on
baking sheet. Brush with honey mustard mix and pat bread
Bake 10 minutes per inch (thickness measured at thickest part) or until salmon flakes with a fork.
Double-Quick Baked Beans
· 3 slices of bacon
· ¼ cup chopped onion
· Cook in skillet over medium heat until onions are transparent, stirring occasionally.
· ¼ cup ketchup
· 2 tablespoons molasses
· 2 drops tabasco sauce
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ½ teaspoon dry mustard
Bring to boil. Stir in
· 2 cups (one 1-lb. can) baked beans
· 1 can kidney beans
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Serves 4.
NOTE: Recipe may be increased for larger crowd.
By Kay Dent
· 2 3/4 c. flour 1 c. buttermilk
· 3 T. sugar 2 T. margarine
· ½ t. salt 3/4 c. raisins, opt.
· ½ t. baking soda 1 T. caraway seed, opt.
· 1 pkg. yeast
BREAD MACHINE METHOD:
Put buttermilk, margarine, salt, sugar, baking soda and caraway seed (opt.) in container. Add flour then put yeast on top. Use dough setting (or whatever your setting is for mixing dough and no baking) Look at your instruction book to see when to add raisins (opt.).
See "BAKING DIRECTIONS" at end for completing.
REGULAR BREAD METHOD:
In small bowl mix 1 c. flour, sugar, salt, caraway seed (opt.), baking soda, and yeast. Combine margarine and buttermilk and heat to 120 degrees.
Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add ¼ c. flour. Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in raisins (opt.) and enough flour to make a soft dough. Cover bowl; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 50 minutes.
Punch dough down. Turn out on floured board. Knead 20 times, forming a smooth round ball.
Place smooth round ball in greased 9" cake pan. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.
Suggest cutting in pie wedge shaped pieces or ANY WAY YOU WANT.
Recipe from Mary Mahoney’s "Old French House" in Biloxi, Mississippi.
· 5 Tbsp. Butter dash Tabasco
· 3 Tbsp. Flour 1 Tbsp. Lea & Perrins
· 1 cup milk 1tsp. salt
· 1 cup chicken bouillon ¼ tsp. blackpepper
· 1 egg, well-beaten 1 cup grated cheddar
· 2 Tbsp. Sherry 1 lb. white lump crabmeat
Make a white sauce of butter, flour, milk, bouillon and egg. Remove from heat; add wine, salt, pepper, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Add crabmeat to white sauce. Place in 1 ½ quart casserole or 6 individual ramekins. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly brown.
By Ed Lussier
To make enough to fill one large punch bowl, mix 29 ounces of light rum (either Bacardi or Ron Rico) with one half gallon of vanilla ice cream (Edy's works the best). You can either hurry the mixing by mashing the ice cream with a potato masher or spoon, or set it on the counter for an hour or so and let it melt down naturally.
After it is all blended together, pour it into a one gallon milk container, and place it in the refrigerator. It will keep for at least two weeks.
When you are ready to serve it, shake the container vigorously, and empty it into the punch bowl. Rinse out the container with one can (12 oz. of cold Cream Soda, and then gently add seven more cans of cold cream soda directly to the punch bowl. Stir gently to blend, and it is ready to serve.
For the Christmas party at the club, we normally make enough for six punch bowls, so you can use that as a guide to help determine how much you want to make for your party. Be advised --- it is more enjoyable in the cooler weather than in the summertime.
Submitted By Karen Gramm
These directions are rather sparse but the results are great...
· 1 stick of butter
· 1 cup brown sugar
· ½ cup half & half
· 2 teaspoons vanilla
· 1 cup pecans
Mix all ingredients except the pecans. Cook 4-5 minutes. Add pecans. Eat.
Submitted By Karen Gramm
· 7-oz jar green olives
· 15-oz can ripe olives
· small can (7-oz) button mushrooms
· 2-3 celery stalks, minced
· 5-7 garlic cloves, minced
· ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
· 1 teaspoon oregano
· ½ teaspoon sugar
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
Mix all ingredients with olive oil and let sit in refrigerator at least one hour, preferable overnight. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks (or until Bob gets home).
Submitted By Troy Dent
· 1 (16 oz.) can sauerkraut, drain
· 8 oz. Swiss cheese, grated (or substitute grated 3-cheese mix)
· 1 lb. (or more) corn beef, chop
· 1 c. mayonnaise
· 1 t. Worcestershire Sauce
· 1 to 3 T prepared mustard
· ¼ t. horseradish (or more)
· 1 T. grated onion (or more)
Mix all ingredients and put in greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Stir and bake 10 minutes more. Optional-garnish with sliced black olives or stuffed green olives before baking last 10 minutes. Serve with crackers or party rye bread.
Submitted By Sally Woodward
· 6 Red, Orange and Yellow Peppers ( I buy them at SAMS, in a package of 6 with 2 of each color) DON'T Use Green!
· Olive Oil
· Italian (Vigo Brand) Bread Crumbs
· Parmesan Cheese
· 1 Container Boursin Cheese (Softened)
· 1 Small Can Anchovies (Cut in Half)
2 Handfuls Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
Coat bottom of Cookie Sheet (10 X 15) with olive Oil and pre heat oven to 350 degrees
Cut Peppers into 4 quarters Each and clean debris and drain on paper towel.
Spread peppers on cookie sheet. Sprinkle liberally with bread crumbs.
Place a dollop of the boursin cheese in each pepper with a piece of anchovy inside the cheese.
Cover with Parmesan cheese then spread a couple of handfuls of parsley over the tops.
Lastly drizzle olive oil over the peppers.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until peppers are soft.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Submitted By Tom and Joan Brandt
· 1 lb ground sirloin w/onions (onions optional)
· 1 can ranch style beans
· 1 can black beans
· 1 can golden hominy
· 1 can fiesta corn (whole kernel)
· 1 can stewed or diced tomatoes
· 1 can Rotel tomatoes (your choice as to how hot)
· 1 package ranch style dressing mix
· 8 ounces of Mexican Velveeta cheese
All cans of ingredients are 14.5 to 15.5 ounces--makes a lot.
Brown sirloin and onions and put into large pot with all ingredients except cheese. Put cheese in just before serving and let melt.
Serve with corn or tortilla chips or corn bread. Add sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese or both if desired.
Submitted by Susan Jacobs
I used Duncan Hines white cake. Mix as directed except fold 2
squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely shaved, into
batter. Pour batter into 2 layer pans, 8 or 9 ½ inches. Bake as directed,
remove from pans, and cool completely. Fill layers with Dark
Chocolate Filling (below). I used Pillsbury Fluffy White Frosting on
the top and sides and then sprinkle shaved chocolate on top.
DARK CHOCOLATE FILLING
· 1 cup sugar
· 1/3 cup light or heavy cream
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
· 2 egg yolks beaten
In medium saucepan mix sugar, cream, butter, and chocolate. Cook
over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate and butter are
· 4 7 oz. cans tiny shrimp, drained
· 1 small to medium onion, finely minced
· 1 cup mayo
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup melted butter
Mash shrimp with fork then hand mix all ingredients together. Spoon into mold and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with your favorite cracker. It's really good with wheat thins.
Swiss Cheese Bread
· 1 loaf French bread (not Pepperidge Farm)
· 8 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
· 8 oz soft butter (2 sticks)
Garlic powder, celery salt, parsley
Submitted by Angela Colton
· 1 stick butter
· 6 medium onions
· 1 can cream of chicken soup
· 1 cup milk
· Salt and pepper
· ¾ lbs Swiss cheese grated
· French bread slices
· Melted butter
Preheat oven to 350o
Melt ½ cup butter in skillet
Add onions, cook until transparent (15 minutes). Place in 9 x13” pan. Mix soup, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over onions. Sprinkle w/grated cheese.
Dip bread sticks in melted butter on one side and arrange on top of cheese with butter on the top.
Bake 30 minutes or until bread is brown.
Trash Bag Salad
Prepare salad dressing first.
· 2/3 cup olive oil.
· ½ cup sugar
· ½ cup Red Wine Vinegar ( I use balsamic)
· 4 cloves garlic crushed
· ½ tsp. paprika
· ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
· Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved and store in container.
· 4 cups of spinach
· 4 cups Roman lettuce
· 1 cup dried (I used Raspberry Cranberry Walnut Frisco, Salad Pizazz)
· 1 med. Red onion sliced
· 8 slices of bacon crisp crumbled.
2/1 cup of slivered almonds toasted.
Submitted by John Faris
German Hot Potato Salad
· 20 lbs red potatoes washed and cut into ~ 1-inch chop
· 4 lbs bacon
· 5 cups (~2 ½ lbs) chopped sweet onion
· 6 Bottles of beer or water
· 14 Tbsp (7/8 cup) sugar
· 4 Tbsp salt
· 3 Tbsp celery seed
· 4 oz cider vinegar
· 1 cup finely chopped green onions
Place unpeeled, washed, cubed potatoes in large pot (better to used two pots to ensure even cooking) cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are just fork tender (don’t overcook). Drain cooked potatoes and put in serving trays.
While potatoes are cooking, dice and cook bacon until crisp. Remove crisp bacon form pan leave ~ 14 Tbsp of fat in the pan (place the cooked bacon in a bowl until you are ready to add to the potatoes). Reduce heat to medium.
Add the onions to the hot bacon fat and sauté until tender. Add 4 beers/water, sugar, celery seed, and vinegar to fat and bring to a boil (add salt and additional sugar or vinegar to taste). Allow mixture to cool slightly for safe handling before continuing.
Pour the liquid mixture and sprinkle half of cooked bacon over the potatoes. Genteelly mix until all the potatoes all coated with the mixture. If necessary, cover with foil and reheat in 325-degree oven. Just prior to serving sprinkle the remaining bacon over the potatoes and green onions over the warm potatoes.
· 7 jars (24 oz) Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage
· 12 Tbsp Beacon Fat
· 6 Red Appels peeled and ¼-inch chop
· 3 cups sweet onions ¼-inch chop
· 1 bottle of beer
Saute onions and apples in fat until onions are transparent (medium heat)
Add beer stir in for a minute
Add to red cabbage in a large pot and simmer 20-30 minutes
Salt, Pepper, Sugar, to taste – best if prepared a day ahead and reheated
Sauerkraut with Apples
· 2 Gallon jars (256 oz) Sauerkraut any major brand (Claussen, Vlasic, Frank’s etc.)
· 8 green apples not peeled and ¼-inch dice
· 2 large sweet onion fine dice
· 6 bratwurst cooked and crumbled with rendered fat (add 8 oz Bacon fat if available)
· ½ cup of sugar
· ½ jar of caraway seeds
· 8 Tbsp butter
· 3 cans of beer/water/beef broth (as mixture simmers add more beer to keep wet)
Thoroughly rise and drain sauerkraut and put in large pot.
In a large fry-pan cook crumbled bratwurst when completely browned stir in sugar, butter, and diced onion and diced apples. When sugar is dissolved add in beer and caraway seeds stir to incorporate.
Pour all ingredients to pot over sauerkraut.
Simmer on stove stirring occasionally ensure apples are tender, 1 to 3 hours.
Keep on low heat until you serve, add beer/water as required if it starts to dry out.
Bratwurst in Beer
· 120 unsmoked bratwurst (you will need at least 10 extras for the sauerkraut and cooks!)
· 8 bottles of beer
· 2 ½ Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
· 2 bottles liquid smoke (4 oz bottles)
Water to cover
In a large pots (don’t crowd brats) add beer, Worcestershire Sauce, and liquid smoke stir.
Add bratwurst and water as needed to cover the bratwurst heat to a boil and stir occasionally.
After bratwurst have boiled for ~ 15 to 20 minutes reduce heat a simmer and for ~ 1/2 hour (bratwurst will puff up).
Remove bratwurst from beer and place on grill to brown and serve (don’t leave brats in boiling liquid after boiling).
Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream
· 8 English Cucumbers
· 6 cups dairy sour cram
· 1 cup + 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
· 2 bottles minced chives
· 1 cup of finely chopped green onions
· 2 Tbsp salt
· 2 Tbls black pepper
· 1 ½ white pepper (optional)
Score cucumbers 1/8 inch deep with fork.
Slice cucumbers 1/8 inch thick slices.
Mix all ingredients (1/2 of the green onions) and toss with sliced cucumbers.
Chill for at least 2 hours toss again just prior to serving and garnish with remaining green onions.
· 4 Boxes Brownie mix
· 1 bag chopped walnuts
· 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate bits
· 3 Cans Cherry Pie Filling
· 2 Gallons Vanilla Ice Cream
· 6 Egg Yolks
· 2 Cups Evaporated Milk
· 2 Cups Sugar (Brown or White)
· 1 Cup Butter
· 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
· 2 Cups chopped Nuts (pecans or Walnuts)
· 2 Cups flaked Coconut
Prepare brownies per box directions – Add chopped walnuts and chocolate bits
Topping for Brownies
Mix yolks, milk, sugar, butter, and vanilla in sauce pan stir over medium heat till smooth
Mix in nuts and coconut cool, spread on brownies.
Bread - 84 good rolls or bread loafs sliced for 60 portions
German mustard 2 bottles
• 1 medium cabbage and 2 medium onions (chopped and pour 3/4 cup of sugar on them).
• Heat to boiling 3/4 cup vinegar,
• 3/4 salad oil,
• 1 teaspoon celery seed,
• 1 tablespoon sugar,
• 2 to 3 teaspoon salt,
• 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Refrigerate, will keep 7 to 10 days
Cole Slaw with Peas
• 1 10 oz pkg frozen peas (thawed)
• 2-3 C shredded cabbage
• 1/2 C chopped onion
• 1/4 C sour cream
• 1/4 C mayonnaise
• 1 t prepared mustard
• 1 t white wine vinegar
• 1/4 t salt
• 1/4-1/2 t curry powder
• 3/4 C chopped peanuts
Serves 8 - 10
1. Mix the peas, cabbage and onion
2. In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt and curry powder. I did this step the day before.
3. Mix the cabbage mixture and dressing and refrigerate at least for 1 hour or up to 24. I don’t like it soggy so I refrigerate 1-4 hours.
4. Before serving top with chopped peanuts.